[GeoStL] Re: New record 2,000 finds 0 hides

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <jbensman1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 22:50:46 -0500

-
What would Jesus do?
Tim

My guess would be turn their Garmin into a Magellen

Glenn wrote, "worthless character bashing" and "character smearing."  I
guess the full moon explains comments like that.  (I'd suggest a walk
tonight as it is really neat out tonight with the mist and full moon.)
While many of the comments made when a cacher removed some rule breaking
buried caches would fit those descriptions (and our sheriff did not object
to those), all the comments made today were certainly critical, but no where
near the level of the comments made about the cache removal. There has
always been discussion on what a particular cacher has done.  This
particular cacher's failure to ever hide a cache has been brought up on this
list many times before without any objection from the sheriff.  In addition,
remember the recent discussion about the one cache with the neighbor
problem.  Some were critical of that particular cacher.

Back when caching was getting started and there were hardly any caches, I
spent hundreds of hours setting up high quality caches in many places with
no caches.  I always tried to get several in an area to give people
motivation to travel.  I've provided others almost 4,000 finds. So when I
see someone with 2,000 finds and never hid a cache, I do not think they are
doing their fair share.  Like I said, I think there should be some kind of
etiquette on what is a reasonable amount of giving for all the taking you
do.  Some agree and some feel there is nothing wrong with that.  That's
fine.  That is the discussion I was hoping for.  I certainly did not intend
any character bashing.

Mike wrote,

"I have no problem with pointing these things out to others privately as you
say you have already done. It is just when it comes to naming names and
pointing fingers in public that I think it crosses the line."

I note no one (including you) contacted me off list-all the finger pointing
was done on list.

What do you suggest doing when you (and others) point something out to
someone privately, offer to help them and they still continue to do it?  I
can understand your point if it had not been first addressed multiple times
privately and offered to help or if there were comments like were made about
the cacher who removed the buried caches.  IMHO, sometimes things need to be
talked about publicly to get change.  That is how change begins.  If one
does not give an example of what the problem the proposed solution is trying
to address, it does not give any reason to make a change.

I think there should be peer pressure to do a reasonable amount of giving
when you have taken so much.  That was my point and PA was the best example
of the problem.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"

Subject field