[GeoStL] Re: New record 2,000 finds 0 hides

  • From: Bernie <happykraut@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 19:33:47 -0500

-   If none of us would hide a cache, we would not have a game to play.  I have said this before, we have takers and givers in the organization. Unfortunately some are only takers.   Bernie.

Jim Bensman wrote:
-
Hey Tim,

The issue of this particular cacher never hiding a cache has been brought up
on this list on more than one occasion (with more critical language than I
used).  I and others have confronted them about it off list many times.  In
the past they have told me they cannot figure out the computer aspect of it.
I and others have offered to help them.

If I did not mention them by name, most would know who I am talking about
since it has been talked about on the list before.  If they did not, all
they would have to do is go to the SLAGA Stats page to figure it out.  When
one can easily figure out who you are talking about, I think you should
mention them by name.

My message was not intended to be bashing, I just stated the facts how they
are and what I felt the etiquette should be.  I did not single them out
either as I pointed out while they are the only ones with 2,000 and no
hides, there are several others who have less than 5 and 2,000+ hides.  I
have spent many hours setting up caches Ma and Pa have found.  It just seems
to me once you take so much and get so much enjoyment over what others have
done, you should give something in return.  I think that is good etiquette.

I agree with James Shilt that people can contribute to the sport in other
ways.  Some examples besides what he mentioned are helping with events,
classes, etc.  That is why I suggested it as etiquette not a rule.  If
someone was giving back in another way I would not have a problem with that.
So I would amended my suggested etiquette to add on "or contribute to our
sport in another manner."

I also agree with NotNutts on lousy caches, but I would hope someone who has
found 1,000 or 2,000 caches would be able to do a good job of setting up a
cache.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"

P.S. When someone removed a buried cache (that violated the rule against
burying caches), there was lots of bashing that person by name on this list.