[STL Geocaching] Re: New cache, needs boat

  • From: "Dan Eubanks" <deubanks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 10:23:25 -0500

This warning was issued today from Raytheon for those using WAAS in flight
navigation:

Safety Issue

WARNING: The Wide Area Augmentation System is currently under development
and test prior to FAA certification for safety-of-flight applications.
Raytheon is currently broadcasting a Type 0 (test mode) message to preclude
use of the signal for Instrument Flight Rule operations. During this period
Raytheon cannot guarantee the accuracy, integrity, continuity, or
availability of the WAAS signal. Raytheon accepts no responsibility for the
use of the signal for other than the above stated purpose. It is the user's
responsibility to exercise common prudence and navigational judgment while
using the WAAS signal.

Users are reminded that the WAAS has not been commissioned for use in safety
of life applications.

Today a Type "2" augmentation message is not being broadcast so all you
Geocachers who are WAAS ready keep in mind that you will not get the
accuracy you are accustom to. For more details go to
http://wwws.raytheontands.com/waas/.

Dan