[GeoStL] Re: New 60CSx

  • From: "GC-RGS" <gc-rgs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 19:43:41 -0500

-
Jeff is right. The Trip and Waypoint manager is not locked and contains no maps. It is meant to transfer WP's, routes, and tracks between mapsource and the GPS (both ways). Mapsource is the program that handles the interface between the GPS and also any maps, such as City Navigator. The older versions of the maps were called Metroguide. That is why you can update mapsource free but the maps aren't updated unless you buy an updated set of maps. They normally come out once a year in August.

The current City Navigator maps only have 1 unlock code, and it's assigned to your Quest, so you can't put in another unlock code and load the maps on a different GPS. I think Garmin will sell you an additional unlock code over the phone but it's about the same price as just buying another copy, or about $100-125.

I don't know how you're going to get around that problem cheaply because the unlock code(s) and GPS serial numbers are registered on Garmin's website so it seems impossible to beat the system.

Rich

----- Original Message ----- From: "Libby" <gmalibby@xxxxxxxxxx>