[GeoStL] Re: Needs archived?

  • From: Jason Collier <jcollier@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 10:40:34 -0500

-
I'll have to see if I can find a place a hundred feet up for this one...

Jason Collier
314-623-0263

On 9/18/2012 8:26 AM, R. Sheffold wrote:
OK Jason, time for another cache.

Steve Bromley <steve.bromley@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    It may be our land, but It still doesn't get past the rule stating
    that climbing is not allowed. That is new and was not there when
    the cache was placed.

    Geocaching cannot  encourage people to break rules. That will be
    the death sentence for it.  If we don't like a rule , we need to
    work to get it changed, not encourage people to break it.

    On Sep 18, 2012 7:50 AM, "Mike Griffin" <brawnybear@xxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:brawnybear@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        First off, it's NOT MDC land. It is our land managed by the
        MDC. Second, they have a rule that states no climbing.
        Archiving the cache will not stop people from climbing. When I
        was there, 90 percent of the people climbing, and a majority
        were kids, were not cachers. People will climb it because it
        is there. If the MDC was serious about it, they would rope it
        off with signs because anyone approaching from the river would
        not see any signs. I agree it is a CYA. I don't think they are
        interested in enforcing it.

        Mike Griffin
        Delivery Manager
        State Farm Account
        314-308-0916 <tel:314-308-0916> Cell

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Sep 18, 2012, at 7:37 AM, Edward Turner
        <n0wnv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:n0wnv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        yeah it is a regulation on MDC land, the regulation is there
        to protect you and MDC from a potential lawsuit from the
        family because of your stupidity.
        On 9/17/2012 11:22 PM, Wayne Lindberg wrote:

        This is my note on the cache page.

        I will cast a dissenting vote on this one. Leave it alone!
        Okay, it's not in compliance with MDC regulations (read that
        as the lawyer rule). Note- a regulation is not a law, it's
        usually a CYA. I used to work for the Gummint, I know this.
        This cache has been there since at least 2003. Surely, the
        boys and girls at MDC have noticed, oh ropes and such,
        during this time. Look at the cast of characters that have
        made the climb. It includes most of the SLAGA elite. It's a
        tall rock, it's meant to be climbed by us (well, maybe not
        me, but I would if I could), for cat's sake, kids make the
        climb. It's an oldie, but goodie. Cachers, go for it. The
        Department of Conservation works for you.

        I am a maverick and don’t agree with most laws, regulations,
        rules, and other such nonsense.  As citizens and sovereigns,
        we can and should do most anything we want to do.  As long
        as you’re not hurting someone else, do it.  Of course, if
        you fall and break your neck, it’s your dime.  Don’t expect
        me and everyone else to pay your way.

        Wayne

        *From:*geocaching-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx