[GeoStL] Re: Needs archived?

  • From: "Rick Jarvis" <rick.jarvis@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 08:47:35 -0500

I don't understand why some cachers are so hot to get this cache archived.
Yes, climbing Tower Rock is currently against the "rules."  It wasn't against
the rules in the past, and it may or not be against the rules in the future.
It appears that the prohibition on climbing was put into place in response to
an accident that didn't even occur on Tower Rock - it happened on the parking
lot side of the channel!

I don't see any indication that the original placer of the cache or the current
cache owner obtained permission from the MDC for this cache.  Maybe they did,
maybe they didn't.  Now THAT might be a reason for the cache to be archived!
It is up to the cache owner to deal with the MDC on that score.  If they asked
permission now, it would likely be denied, due to the current prohibition on
climbing.  If they asked in the future (when the river has come back and
re-filled the channel), permisison might be granted.  It would depend on the
MDC area manager.

It looks to me that the cache reviewers are just waiting for further
developments.  Maybe they'll put it on their list of caches to be archived in
the future, which should prod the cache owner to contact MDC and resolve the
situation one way or another.  No one has logged a find on the cache since MDC
said "No Climbing Allowed."  That's good!   It might make sense for the cache
to be disabled for the time being.  Meanwhile, those who are not reviewers or
the cache owner should just cool your jets and stand by for news!