[GeoStL] Re: Need help making a puzzle cache

  • From: "Jon Mertz" <jemertz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 23:23:19 -0500

-
Jen,
It depends on the sort of puzzle you want. If you're looking for something
simple that just requires multiple waypoints, use a cemetary or two as the
starting point(s), and just do some tweaking with numbers off of interesting
tombstones, or interesting areas.

If you're looking for something more like the Mensa series of caches, I'd
recommend looking for a puzzle online and tweak the results (or do math with
the results) to match the coordinates that you want to aim people at.
Designing your own puzzle from scratch is 1) very difficult and 2) liable to
contain multiple possible answers. (You probably won't see the second
pattern if you know the first, unless it is pointed out to you, ala the face
and jug or old maid and young woman pictures.) If you'd like help I'm
willing to try, but these are what I am thinking of for my next cache or
two. My first is a simple park-and-grab, but my second will take quite a bit
more work. :-D

Shoot me a response with a general idea of what you are thinking of.

Jon, AKA Eta526