[GeoStL] NOT NGR: We Didn't Make the Survey

  • From: "tnsl" <sydstyr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Geocaching Freelist" <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 23:38:57 -0500

So ..  tonight I'm in the middle of q-ing the ribs outside and chopping up the
veggies inside (obligatory food reference) when the phone rings. I answer.
She's not selling something; she's taking a survey on the usage of St. Louis
County Parks. Normally, I would have said I didn't have time, but it IS for the
Parks so I'll chat.

Twenty minutes and an intense lesson on geocaching later I was finished with
the survey.

The questions were about what parks we use, what we use them for and of course,
how often.  She offered a list of park uses -- everything from using the
playground to dog walking to driving through to walking to sledding to "other".
 I can't remember what park she first listed but I answered, "Playground and
Geocaching.. is that other?" Well .. you would have thought I had told this
woman I had my ears in my eyeballs.  She said, "Geeee O caching?  Honey, just
what in the WORLD is geocaching? Is really a for-real thing? You're about the
5th person who has said that."  She then went on to say, "The first person that
told me they was geocaching in the park I thought he was just making things up
to mess with me. I wasn't sure what the second person was saying, but along
about the 3rd or 4th I got to thinking that this is something for real. Just ..
what IS this geocaching? This some kind of new fad or something to do in those
parks?"

I have to wonder if the St. Louis County Parks Department creates their own
surveys. Surely by now "WE" would have made the survey, wouldn't you think?

Nancy