[GeoStL] Re: [NGR]Re: Re: How many cachers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

  • From: Glenn <glenn.geocachingadmin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 19:02:29 -0600

-
I think I joined up a couple weeks after Jim and it was already up to 4552 or so. It was tough to find many caches as there just were not many caches. No one had ever found 100 caches, ever. Nothing north of I64/40, not many cachers up north, no one out in St. Charles. I guess things have not changes all THAT much.

Jim Bensman wrote:
-
I joined 4 months after Strider (3258) and was number 11,234.  It would be
interesting to see a chart on how fast it has grown.
Things were much different in the early days.  Hardly anyone knew what it
was.  GPS were not as good - no paperless caching.  No way to download the
caches-had to enter each one by hand.  There were not lots of caches.  I
remember thinking it would be impossible to find 500 caches.  You rarely met
other cachers.  I think it was my 54th hide that put me with more cache
hides than anyone in the world.
My first one was GCBA8.  My dad showed me a newspaper article and I was
addicted.
Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"