Exactly, pain from the swelling can be intense. A friend of mine was bitten by a copper head on his thumb & he swelled all the way to his shoulder. He couldn't spread his fingers far enough apart to keep them from touching. Eric ----- Original Message ----- From: Brad Myers To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Monday, August 29, 2005 7:17 AM Subject: [GeoStL] Re: NGR: Snake Bite I agree with Eric, never take a chance when bitten, especially if you are young, very old, or have an underlying medical condition. Plus, at the ED they can help with pain control (the most common side affect of the bite) and prescribe antibiotics for a possible infection (another side affect, but less common). ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ From: geocaching-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:geocaching-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Eric East Sent: Sunday, August 28, 2005 11:05 PM To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [GeoStL] Re: NGR: Snake Bite Not sure who K is, but i'm sorry to hear about the incident. That is why it is a VERY GOOD idea to NEVER handle a snake unless you can positively ID it. Also, DO NOT avoid a trip to the ER if you believe you have been bitten by a venomous snake!!! Although the bite of a copper head is generally not life threatening, why take the chance. It's possible that you may be one of the unfortunate few who are alergic to the venom. BTW, the scientific name for nonvenomous counter part is natrix, not matrix. And that is out dated. The accepted name for the genus is now nerodia. Gotta love the taxonimists & their name changes! :-) Eric ----- Original Message ----- From: JimSGreene@xxxxxxx To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Sunday, August 28, 2005 9:22 PM Subject: [GeoStL] NGR: Snake Bite Update to follow, since our good friend K. encountered a medium sized copper head while mowing, and in return for his good will in trying to move the snake, which he thought was a matrix (a harmless water snake), it bit him on both hands. He went to an emergency room, and the treatment turned out to be antihistimines and bed rest. The venom is not fatal, except to small animals. He is currently sleeping off the effects of the drugs, and will be monitored by friends while he recovers. The snake will get a good meal of mouse before being released. A digital series of the wounds might be compiled, unless there is objection from the subject. He's in no condition at present to agree to anything. If anyone has a similar mishap, take antihistimines and save yourself a hospital bill. You'll be fine. Remember, it is illegal to kill our valuable snakes. Please release the culprit within two miles of where you found it, since relocation results in hardship and death usually. Please brace yourselves as the subject of this email is rather grisly, but we don't want any of you to go through being assaulted by a brown recluse. Unfortunately for these spiders, kill them at will. Please spare their harmless cousins, though. Again, turn on a light in any storage area and wait until the critters go hide before you go in. Take care all, and good luck.