[GeoStL] NGR: Snake Bite

  • From: JimSGreene@xxxxxxx
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 22:22:58 EDT

Update to follow, since our good friend K. encountered a medium sized  copper
head while mowing, and in return for his good will in trying to move the
snake, which he thought was a matrix (a harmless water snake), it bit him on
both hands.  He went to an emergency room, and the treatment turned  out to be
antihistimines and bed rest.  The venom is not fatal, except  to small animals.

He is currently sleeping off the effects of the drugs,  and will be monitored
by friends while he recovers.  The snake will get a  good meal of mouse
before being released.  A digital series of the wounds  might be compiled,
unless
there is objection from the subject.  He's in no  condition at present to agree
to anything.  If anyone has a similar mishap,  take antihistimines and save
yourself a hospital bill.  You'll be  fine.  Remember, it is illegal to kill
our valuable snakes.  Please  release the culprit within two miles of where you
found it, since relocation  results in hardship and death usually.  Please
brace yourselves as the  subject of this email is rather grisly, but we don't
want any of you to go  through being assaulted by a brown recluse.
Unfortunately
for  these spiders, kill them at will.  Please spare their harmless  cousins,
though.  Again, turn on a light in any storage area and wait until  the
critters go hide before you go in.  Take care all, and good  luck.