[GeoStL] Re: NGR: Paypal Fishing

  • From: LuAnn <luigilula@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 07:40:10 -0700 (PDT)

I've had so many of these that spoof@xxxxxxxxxx is in my email address book.
After the first time where I nearly gave up the info (but didn't) I am the
phisher's worst enemy.  I just make it show full headers and forward to spoof.
 Same goes with Ebay.

  The thing that gives them away is if you do click a link....if you look in
the address bar it will show the address and more often than not it doesn't
look anything like paypal.com or ebay.com.  It may be pay-pal.com or
PaypaL.com...close but not right.  That is how I figured out I was being
phished.  That and they wanted my PIN for my card...that was really the red
flag I guess.

Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  - Many of the phishers do not have English as their number one language. Much
of it is coming from places like the former Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, so
many spelling and grammar errors is due to that. It is also one of the reasons
why it is so hard to stop.

Andrew Senger wrote:
-  My thoughts are that emails with "valid" and "investigation", as well  as
some of the other phrases in there, will trip the Spam filter.  By  mispelling,
they've bypassed it.    I love getting these emails for the same reason.  I
read them, but  don't click on anything.    Andrew    On 5/13/08, Mike Griffin
<griff@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

-  I have gotten a lot of fishing email lately. Paypal being the number one
fishing tool. Look at this portion of the email below. You would think they
would take the time to proof read it.    "Please take the time to verify your
account information. The following link  will be walid for 48 hours. After
that, we will make your account limited  and start an ingestigation."    OK,
this had me rolling on the floor! "Walid Ingestigation?" Sounds like  something
you would get from too much Walleye!    Good laugh on this one!    Mike

LuAnn