[GeoStL] Re: NGR: Old Purchases

  • From: Martin Gross <martin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 22:52:04 -0500

Not to make anyone feel old, but I've always thought the 14.4k modem our old Gateway 2000 computer had on it was ancient history. Though to be fair, we were still using Apple II computers during my early elementary school days. But the fact that we had a dozen Apple II computers says something, too.

They had some sweet IR remote keyboards. We used to have an old Commodore 64 packed away in our basement, left over from my sister's childhood. I could never figure out how to use it, and it eventually got thrown away somehow. I saved the Atari, though :D The Sega Genesis was my staple system, though the NES got some heavy play, too.

MBG

On Aug 26, 2008, at 10:29 PM, Mike Lusicic wrote:

- I hosted a DOS user group where IBM came in and introduced us to their brand new IBM PC running at a whopping 4.77 mhz CPU speed. I remember waiting for the 8 mhz 286 to come out before I switched out my Apple II for that.

I remember doing Compuserve on my apple. I bought the phone / modem combination with a custom wire and connection to a card in the Apple. Back then it was TTY. 103 baud. Lets see, 8 data bits and 1 stop bit..... 9 bits ..... that was a whopping 11 characters per second. You could type faster than it could transmit. Lets see. At that speed, ignoring turnaround, latency and other overhead stuff, it would take 11.5 years to download a DVD. That is about 140 times longer than I have ever seen a Windows machine stay up without crashing, locking up, or otherwise becoming useless.

GC-RGS wrote:

I was cleaning out some old papers and I found some receipts when I bought my Commodore Amiga in 1985.
http://oldcomputers.net/amiga1000.html

It came with 256k (not meg). About 1 year later I bought a memory "box" that was the same dimension as the Amiga and sat on top. It contained 256K (for a total whopping 512k) for $400.

When I worked at MDC, our dept, bought the first IBM PC available in 1981. It was an Intel 8086/8088 processor with 2 full height 5 1/4" floppy drives. Once IBM started producing hard drives for their PC's, we bought a 10 meg HD (not gig) for $10,000.

How things have changed!!!