[GeoStL] Re: NGR Mushroom

  • From: Michael Rogers <mrogers07@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 06:28:54 -0700 (PDT)

What I mean is that in regards to the oyster mushroom, there are no poisonous
species that one could mistake it with. It is one of the safest species to
hunt.

Oysters, Black trumpets, Chicken of the Woods, Hen of the Woods, Dryad's
Saddle...all are great for beginners to find as there are no poisonous
lookalikes.

Coral mushrooms are great eating as well and easy to identify, but some people
report some loose bowel syndrome after eating them, so your experience may vary.

Chanterelles and Puffballs are pretty easy to identify too and they are great
eating as well...however, each can be mistaken for ones you don't want...

The Jack O' Lantern can fool people who pick Chanterelles...and they pay for it
with nasty gut cramps, vomiting, etc.

The button stage of many Amanita species (the Destroying Angel, for example)
can look like puffballs so that is why it's very important to slice what you
think are puffballs in half. They should be solid white. If they even remotely
have what looks like a mushroom shape inside, throw it out. In those cases,
eating the wrong thing could very well kill you.

The absolute best thing one can do if they are interested in mushrooms is to
study a lot about them. I have many great titles at home that help out with
that.

Remember...when in doubt, throw it out.

-Michael