[GeoStL] Re: NGR: Is it really getting warmer?

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 23:18:04 -0500

-

Well, we also have one other party to add to the folks making a bunch of
money. If I recall, I saw a breakdown of who gets how much per gallon of
fuel, and I thought the governments got as much if not more than the Exxon /
Mobil's etc. If we started reducing consumption, they would have to find
something else to tax, and it is tougher to put a huge tax on something up
front than to have the patience to incrementally increase the tax quietly
behind the scenes and blame it on the oil companies after the price reaches
the pain point. Hey, that is one instance where the liberal programs and big
business get together to each get their piece of you pocket. What strange
bedfellows!

BotFee wrote:
- -----Original Message----- From: know_future@xxxxxxxx[1]
[mailto:know_future@xxxxxxxx[2]]=20 Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2005 08:56
- Morning all, I think the evidence is pretty conclusive that we are=20
witnessing a global warming trend. The big question in my=20 mind is whether
we can, or should, try to make an effort to=20 reverse it.=20 To think we
canreverse it is absolutely ludicrous. To think we aren't contributing to
it,even if only in some small way, strikes me as = equally ridiculous. And
while we can't possibly hope to save every little Snail Darter and Spotted
Owl on the planet, we can't keep treating it like our own = personal ashtray
either. If we all dropped just one crumb on the dining room = floor at
dinnerevery night and never vacuumed/mopped that floor, there would
certainlycome a time when that dining room would become a pretty unappealing
place to partake of our bountiful feasts. How anyone could = fail to see
thatas a microcosm of what we're doing to the earth in general = just
bogglesmy mind. Increasing fuel economy in automotive vehicles for the
purpose of = achieving a reduction in greenhouse gases is a matter of
secondary importance, = IMO. We *HAVE TO* do it anyway....if only(?) for
homeland security purposes. Unless/until we reduce our dependence on fossil
fuels, we will be = forever forced into mucking around in Middle East
politics......a truly = masochistic undertaking if there ever was one. Iraq
is a perfect example. *IF* we were not so dependent on the import = of oil
from that part of the world, we could have closed up shop and left = that
shithole the very moment it became clear the 'intelligence' (dare we = call
it that) suggesting Sadam was amassing large quantities of WMD was bogus.
Unfortunately, we are pretty much stuck there until some semblance of
stability is restored..........simply because continued instability in =
thatregion can only lead to potentially severe interruptions in oil
production.....which can only lead to higher prices at the pump. All of
whichmeans the continued loss of American lives for the foreseeable =
future.And one doesn't have to believe in big oil company conspiracies to
see= how that benefits Mobil/Exxon/whoever. All the major American oil
companies = are making money hand over fist right now......earnings are WAY
up. And = they're certainly not offering their oil on the futures markets
forless than = the (*highly* manipulated) 'open market' prices. The sad part
of all this is.......I have virtually no confidence either = one of our
majorpolitical parties will lead us out of this mess. The = friggin'
Democrats are clueless and have no answer. The equally moronic = Republicans
have one answer........'Duhh, like.......drill Alaska, man'. Thanks
guys.......I'm so glad we're paying your version of 'Social Security' = for
such insightful visions. -=3D Russ =3D- (BotFee)
Subject field

--- Links ---
   1 mailto:know_future@xxxxxxxx
   2 mailto:know_future@xxxxxxxx