[GeoStL] Re: NGR: Internet while on the road

  • From: "GC-RGS" <gc-rgs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:43:32 -0500

-
Mike,

I had an LG4400 phone and needed a special cable from the phone to a serial
port. (got it at Radio Shack)  Then I added a special .ini file to windows
so it would be recognized as another modem besides the internal one in the
laptop. Since I had free LD, I always dialed the local St. Louis SBC number
for my connection. The only requirement is that you had to be at a location
that was digital, not analog, or the phone wouldn't connect to SBC as a
modem. Normally along the interstates you have digital, so it shouldn't be a
big problem

I just got a Motorola phone that uses the mini-USB (like the cameras and new
Garmins) and used that to connect the camera to the laptop USB port. I found
the USB driver on the internet and ran Motorola Phone Tools (or something
like that) and it configured a dialup connection for SBC.

I'm sure each brand of phone (and probably models too), need some sort of
trick to connect as a modem so you may need to do a little googling.to get
the details. Everything I read on Verizon says it can't be done because they
want you to subscribe to their broadband wireless service at $60 month. My
connection with the phone is about 14.4k

Rich