[GeoStL] NGR: Interesting Area on Google Earth

  • From: "motex" <motexoutlaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 11:52:24 -0500

-
Copy coordinates below and paste them in Google Earth and see what's there.

30° 4'7.69"N  97° 8'26.03"W

This is southwest of Austin, TX. I found this information on the Houston
Geocaching Association Web Site.

Land owner David Luecke Says:
Well, half of you are right. This land is my land (yes, really). As my
nephew Pete already pointed out, I did it for the hell of it. I was going to
open a golf course, but decided not to. If you look in the "L", you can see
4 holes of my private "course", though I haven't maintained it in a couple
of years now (due to some surgerys preventing my game), so you might not be
able to make it out. My son showed me on the Google Earth program, and you
could indeed see the bunkers and barely make out the fairways. Nifty program
there, and good eye to all of you folk! Cheers!

From another geocacher: That pops up occasionally on lists of weird thing in
GE.  The amazing think is that the word is 2.5 miles long.  In fact because
it can be measured precicely,NASA uses it to help calculate resolution on
images taken from space.  See last paragraph of "5.5. Empirical Confirmation
of Spatial Resolution Estimates" on the NASA webpage