[GeoStL] Re: NGR- Camera Advice?

  • From: Tom Wolpert <tom_wolpert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 09:30:42 -0700 (PDT)

-
If a point and shoot will do the job, I like the Nikon Coolpix S630.
Researched smallish point and shoot cameras last Christmas for a gift. This one
was a good compromise between size, weight, fairly capable optical zoom (7x),
flexibility (some possibility for manual adjustment if you really want it),
variety of auto-exposure modes, decent time to first shot, and good picture
quality.  (Can't remember whose picture quality info I used, though.)  Biggest
downside, which somebody else mentioned, is no optical viewfinder.  You are
limited to the LCD display which can be difficult to see in bright
sunlight. Also, as with virtually all pocket cameras, it uses a replaceable
battery with a proprietary form factor.  Gave it to my daughter, who seems
pleased with it.  Did not, however, pay much attention to the menu system on
the camera because my daughter is a typical younger generation geek.  If you
think this might be an issue, then by all means
 head over to a camera store (or even a big box like Best Buy) and play with it
to make sure it's sufficiently easy to use.
There are good point and shoot models that have a smaller form factor.  But you
can't get decent optical zoom ranges with the smaller cameras.  We find that to
be a disadvantage for just about everything -- scenery, action and portrait
shots.

If you do go point and shoot, be sure to consider buying an extra battery and a
fairly high-capacity class 6 or better SD card to give with the camera.

Tom
(twolpert)