[GeoStL] Re: NGR- Camera Advice?

  • From: "Richard Sheffold" <GC-RGS@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 11:29:06 -0500

-
Mike,

On the serious side, I agree with Mike, Mike, and Glenn.

I think anything besides a P&S camera would be overkill and not used enough
because it's not enjoyable to carry around and has too many options and
settings.

The idea s/b to have something handy that you can always carry around and
won't be in the way if you don't need it.  I bought Charlotte a Casio about
4 years ago since she is mechanically declined, but she can take it anywhere
and shoot great pictures when she wants. I use a Casio (5MP) I bought about
5 years ago that is 1/2 x 2 x 3.5 inches and carry it everywhere because I
don't even know it's in my pocket. I've got a Nikon F2 SLR (film camera)
with manual everything and she would never use it in the old days unless I
had everything ready to go for her to push the button.

The P&S camera all have good video too if they want to take something of a
waterfall or the grandkids games. Most also have a lot of presets, such as
sunsets, fall colors, night shots, action shots, etc.

One of the arguments seems to be built-in batteries as opposed to easily
replaceable AA or AAA batteries. Charlotte's Casio shoots 350 6MP pics on a
charge, so it's always good for a weekend or more before charging. But
having a set of AA's in your pocket is always good insurance too.

Here is a site I've used a lot for reviews and the sample photos and videos
show a lot about the image quality.

Like the others said, everyone will have their favorite, so just about
anything you pick will be a great camera for your mom. Getting the pics off
the camera and onto the PC may be a different story, but that's the case
with any camera you buy.

Rich