[GeoStL] Re: NCR--Andy Rooney Telemarketing Tips

  • From: LuAnn <luigilula@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 07:35:42 -0700 (PDT)

I check these things out alot at Snopes too....my comments are below:

Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:  - I read this and commented below
before I checked it at Snopes. They confirmed my suspicions at least to the
effectiveness of these steps. Check it out at http://tinyurl.com/b643d

The only thing it invalidated was my comments about Andy Rooney. But it does
sound like the kind of thing that could be a good sarcastic joke like he does
make, not meant to be taken seriously.

Bernie wrote:
Subj: Fw: Andy Rooney Telemarketing Tips      ----- Original      Tips for
Handling Telemarketers Three   Little Words That Work!!    (1) The three little
words are: 'Hold On, Please...' Saying this,   while putting down your phone
and walking off (instead of   hanging-up immediately) would make each
telemarketing call so   much more time-consuming that boiler room sales would
grind to a   halt.  Then when you eventually hear the phone company's
'beep-beep-beep' tone, you know it's time to go back and hang up   your
handset, which has efficiently completed its task.

I used to do this. But I wouldn't say anything. Just lay it down and forget
about it.
The people making the calls are trying to make a living. They get almost
nothing compared to the people who hire them. This is like shooting the
messenger. It would be like giving your garbage man a hard time when he comes
into the neighborhood because you don't like what the company he works for
charges for their service. They cannot do anything about it. If they didn't
need the money, they wouldn't be doing it, so why torture them?

These three little words will help eliminate telephone   soliciting.   (2)  Do
you ever get those annoying phone calls   with no one on the other end?  This
is a telemarketing technique   where a machine makes phone calls and records
the time of day   when a person answers the phone.  This technique is used to
determine the best time of day for a 'real' sales person to call   back and get
someone at home.  What you can do after answering,   if you notice there is no
one there, is to immediately start   hitting your # button on the phone, 6 or 7
times, as quickly as    possible.  This confuses the machine that dialed the
call and it   kicks your number out of their system. Gosh, what a shame not to
 have your name in their system any longer!

Didn't try this one.
Not quite accurate. What is happening here is that for every agent they have
who becomes free for a call, several calls are made. The first one that is
answered is connected to the agent. The others are ignored or given to another
agent. This is because there are many "no answers", and they don't want to
waste the telemarketers time by having them wait for the phone to ring 5 times
before hanging up. The best time thing would still have the telemarketer
waiting for the phone to ring finish ringing to see if you are home during the
"best" time. But the best time for me is different depending on the day. This
explanation makes no sense to me.

  (3)   Junk Mail Help:     When you get 'ads' enclosed with your phone or
utility bill,   return these 'ads' with your payment. Let the sending companies
  throw their own junk mail away. When you get those 'pre-approved'   letters
in the mail for everything from credit cards to 2nd   mortgages and similar
type junk, do not throw away the return   envelope. Most of these come with
postage-paid return envelopes,   right? It costs them more than the regular 51
cents postage 'IF'   and when they receive them back.  It costs them nothing if
you   throw them away!  The postage was around 50 cents before the last
increase and it is according to the weight. In that case, why not   get rid of
some of your other junk mail and put it in these cool   little, postage-paid
return envelopes.  One of Andy Rooney's (60   minutes) ideas. Send an ad for
your local chimney cleaner to   American Express. Send a pizza coupon to
Citibank. If you didn't   get anything else that day, then just
 send them their blank   application back!  If you want to remain anonymous,
just make   sure your name isn't on anything you send them.    You can even
send the envelope back empty if you want to just to   keep them guessing! It
still costs them 51 cents.    The banks and credit card companies are currently
getting a lot   of their own junk back in the mail, but folks, we need to
OVERWHELM them. Let's let them know what it's like to get lots of   junk mail,
and best of all they're paying for it...twice!

Over the years, I have occasionally taken junk mail and just sealed the
envelope and mailed it back.  Or put in other junk mail and send it back.  I
just don't bother any more.

Andy is in the entertainment business. If this is an example of his rational
thinking, it shows he doesn't know a lot about the real world. It doesn't
"cost" the company anything. If the price to operate goes up because of these
antics, they just raise the price of their service to maintain their profit
margin and guess who winds up paying that 51 cents? You do. Since they all
follow the same practices, they will all be equally advantaged or handicapped,
so they will all just raise their prices. The only way to affect the outcome is
if there was a way to differentiate between the competition and make it a
disadvantage to send out the extra stuff. But the reality is some people
actually like those things and they make sales. So even if you cost them 51
cents, but they make $10 on someone else, do you really think they are going to
quit because of that?

As for phone calls, I use Charter's Selective Call Acceptance service.  I can
only get 12 numbers.  I am never bothered by TM's now.  I primarily use my
cellphone and I don't get them on it either.    Wondering what's for Dinner
Tonight? Get new twists on family   favorites at AOL Food.

LuAnn