[GeoStL] Re: NCR: info

  • From: "R. sheffold" <rsheffold@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 12:45:34 -0500

-
Judi,

This will be like the Garmin/xxx debates :-)

I have the iPad 3 (latest) with 4G on Verizon. When I was at McDonnell Douglas and got my first cell phone (mid 90's I guess), we got a discount through Ameritech, which later became Verizon.

I don't think you will be unhappy with either one though. I'd think the main decision would be price.

When I got mine in March or April of this year, they had 2 options on data. 1 was $20/month for 4 gig (not 100% sure of those numbers) but you could turn that option on/off by the month. However, there was a $35 activation fee each time the data was turned on again. The other option (which I picked) was using a credit card, and for $10/month I could turn it on and off each 30 day period as I needed it, and no activation fee. So I could turn it on for say a trip, say May 13-June 12, and then back at home turn it off for several months and back on Sept 23 and of Oct. 22. If you go over the 30 days it will charge your card another $10.

Then my daughter came along and she switched from Sprint to Verizon and we got the shared plan. With that we share 4 gig of data and have 2 smart phones. Then I added the iPad for a flat $10/month which shares the 4 gig of data. And with the iPad, have both wifi and data turned on, it will automatically use wifi if its available, otherwise it use data. Data can be turned off so you will not accidently start getting charged for it and only turn it on when needed, like on a trip where you need email or maps and not near any wifi. Our first month of 2 phone and the iPad was under 2 gig. My iPad uses about 2-300k/month.

I'm not sure how Verizon manages just an iPad now that they are pushing the shared plan,

Good luck and let me know if you have anymore question about this.

-----Original Message----- From: Judi F
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2012 12:13 PM
To: Geocache List
Subject: [GeoStL] NCR: info

-
I don't want to start any debate.  However, here goes.

I do not have a smartphone (not open for debate). I am getting an IPad with a cellular plan. Looking for pros and cons of AT&T vs. Verizon as the carrier. I will gladly read all opinions and information if anyone cares to send them.

Judi

Sent from my iPad

Missouri Geocachers Calendar ---> http://mogeo.ipbhost.com/index.php?app=calendar

Missouri Geocachers Calendar --->