[GeoStL] Re: My Eclipse Photos

  • From: David Diederich <d-a-v-e@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 14:47:41 -0800 (PST)

Great shots Jim.

  For best results, disable digital zoom on digital cameras.
  Using digital zoom will often result in pixelated images.
  Optical zoom is good - digital zoom is not.
  Digital zoom uses software in the camera to manipulate the image.
  You can "zoom in" digitally after you have downloaded the images to your
computer.

Jim Bensman <junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  -
Yes it was COLD! Just standing around made it much worse. I was out at the
viewing platform at the Hutchins Bird Sanctuary (right before you get to the
Olin Nature Preserve). After it went into full eclipse I went home and took
the rest from my front yard. There seemed to be mist in the air toward the
end. Also toward the end, a plane flew overhead and the moon and con trail
was lit up. It looked really neat and the con trail moved from one side of
the moon to the other in about a minute. You can see it in a couple of
pictures.

The cold made it hard to adjust the camera so I had to wear thin gloves. I
wish I had more time to learn how to use my new camera as some came out
better than others.

I was using a tripod and timer. I shot most of the pictures with an 18X
optical telephoto. The shots where the moon is bigger, I also used the
digital zoom (it is a 5.1X zoom, but you get the moon over full frame if you
use it all). I generally have not been pleased with the digital zoom as it
tends to make it more fuzzy. I will now usually just crop. The landscape
photos were shot at 27 mm. I shot at 8 megapixels. I used an ASA rating of
between 200 and 800 (the camera will go to ASA 6,400 but it gets grainy).

You should see my eagle pictures (you can see the detail of the feathers!).
Sometime I will upload some of them and post a link.

I am using a Fuji FinePix S8000FD. The lens is amazing. It will focus to
1/2 inch and zooms from 27 mm wide angle to 18X. $350 at Creve Cour Camera.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"

Go Obama!