[GeoStL] Re: Monthly meetings

  • From: Edwin Biesemeyer <singer1ed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 20:12:32 -0700 (PDT)

I will agree with you that Meet Up is very impersonal.  I used to be a member
of meet up having to do with Where's George.com .  I dropped my registration
because of that very issue.  I only brought it up because some one earlier
asked how to get the word out.  Some folks look on that sight for hobbies and
or things they like doing or are involved in.

As I said I don't care for the day of the week.  Reason I don't care for it is
I have school age kids.  Personally I like Saturday mornings much better.

JENNIFER GUYER <nyisutter@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
-
Bookcrossing uses Meetup heavily and I am not at all
interested in using them. We don't need Meet up to
organize us, and I know we can do a MUCH better job! Our
St. Louis bookcrossing group started having meetings
before BookCrossing started using Meetup and while several
of the members started going to both so that they could
let the Meet up participants know about our group, they
quickly got disgusted with how impersonal and frustrating
Meetups are. The are organized by people who have no clue
about the locales they give you to vote on. The Meetup
site has no idea of the venue still exsists, is open at
7:00, has enough room to accomodate the meeting or
anything. And the venue has no idea that they have been
chosen for a Meetup.

Now, they have their place. Like I said, internationally
they are used by Bookcrossers to organize them in places
where they have no local organization to do it themselves.
But, you also find lots of notes in the forums arranging
their own meetings when Meetups failed them. So when there
is an organization in place already, like SLAGA, Meetup is
really more of an aggravation than a help.

Just my .02

Jen
Subject field

Edwin G. Biesemeyer Track your Dollar BillsEver wonder where your money goes.
See how to track it with the link above.