[GeoStL] Misc geocaching stuff

  • From: "Paul Konopacki" <konopapw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 21:49:02 -0500

-
GEOSTL.COM DOWN
* geostl.com was down for hours yesterday and I have no idea why.  I didn't do
anything to get it back; it just came back.

GEOCACHING.COM DOWN
* geocaching.com was down for hours a few days ago.  It's hard to find out
'official' explanations from groundspeak on why these outages occur (or even
what changes are being made and when they get made).  I suppose I don't deserve
to know all that is going on with the site, despite my curiosity.  History
shows that groundspeak holds their cards close to the cuff.  However, I
discovered some juicy information about what they are up to (see below).

GEOCACHING.COM CHANGES AND LOCATIONLESS CACHES
* Below is an excerpt from a message from Jeremy in a groundspeak thread about
locationless caches.  I was more curious about what he lists as their web
development priorities, but his view on the status of locationless caches is
also somewhat interesting to know.  (Personally, I do without locationless).

Jeremy say:

"They'll be back. With limited staff to complete the new site quickly (and with
limited bugs in a release) we're spending longer than initially planned. Our
priorities at the moment are:

1. Speed up the existing site to support double growth over the last few
months. Right now I'm working to improve the speed of the nearest cache page
(the most resource-heavy)
2. Completely replace the map server.
3. Introduce Geocaching.com Gen 2, which is more feature-rich and fast,
incorporating many of the recommendations made over the past 2 years to improve
the web site.
4. Mystery projects for Premium Members.

Some of these projects are going on concurrently, and some (like locationless
caches) are backburnered until the more important items are completed.

I find locationless caches of monumental importance and have a lot of ideas on
how to make them more fun and manageable. Trust me that we will not abandon
them, but we need more time to get these projects listed above so we have a
healthy base to complete the locationless cache features."

Subject field