[GeoStL] Re: Membership

  • From: "Gale R. Nie" <showme69@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 21:53:39 -0500

-
"In short, don't sweat the small things. This is not a group of judging people, just hide and seekers with big appetites."

I agree totally. There's no comparison between discrimination against a person based on the usual way we think of discrimination, i.e. race, sex, religion, etc., and simply getting a few perks in a organized group if you contribute monetarily. Another definition of discrimination: unfair treatment of a person or group on the basis of prejudice. There's no prejudice involved in noncontributing members not getting some of the perks and I don't view it as unfair either. To put it simply, stuff costs money, contributing members get stuff. Noncontributing members get stuff too, just not as much.

Another example would be a nonprofit charity that accepts donations. If you donate $10, you receive a thank you card, if you donate $50, you get a card and free t-shirt, if you donate $100, you get a card, t-shirt and a limited edition coin. Are the people who only donate $10 being discriminated against? Should they receive all three incentives for the $10 donation?

Too many people today are just looking to be offended and throw out the dreaded "discrimination" word. As Stephen said, don't sweat the small things. Keep caching and just have fun.

Gale

Full disclosure statement: I won a gift card at the SLAGA spring picnic. ;-)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stephen Martin" <faery_generic@xxxxxxx>
I think that the $10 needed to become a contributing member of SLAGA is meant to encourage dues for the financial help in keeping our sport/hobby/meal plan the best it can. The fact that there is a "free" membership is enough proof that SLAGA is aware of other means of contributions including pot luck items at events, helping set up, and even the feedback on the elist and logs. Also, the website makes it clear that contributing members just pay dues and have some benefits from that. It is all in perception of the label contributing over member. A person who has a premium account on geocaching.com is not truly more premium of a cacher... but they paid up and they get cool stuff.

In short, don't sweat the small things. This is not a group of judging people, just hide and seekers with big appetites.

$0.02 that may not even be worth that.