[GeoStL] Maybe we've got it all wrong....

  • From: richard ashburn <rashburn01@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 19:33:51 -0700 (PDT)

Cognac Caches

More than 90 years after the Germans and Bulgarians fought the French and their
Serbian allies in a mountain village in southern Macedonia, visitors are making
their way to the remote World War I battleground, where the lure is more than
military history. A liquid fortune in vintage cognac and wine lies buried in
the old trenches: French army rations have matured into an exquisite elixir.
Villagers unearthed the first case of 15 bottles about 15 years ago. Since
then, digs have yielded several cognac caches, usually of about two dozen
bottles each. The old-fashioned cognac bottles can fetch up to nearly $7,000
from collectors. Villagers say foreigners -- including many French -- are
scouring the area for cognac, maps in hand. "Nothing tastes better, and that is
why the French come here," said Petar Sindevski, from the nearby village of
Staravina.

--Scott Hensley contributed to this column.
WSJ 7/23/07

FareChase.