[GeoStL] Re: Mapping software

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 08:18:42 -0500

-
Well, if it shows the Barracks area as well, I can tell you that there
is at least one building missing today. This crazy LT in my guard unit
was given the task of taking down one of the buildings. He figured he
was going to run a cable from a dozer into the basement and wrap it
around the support beams. Now, these beams were made of nice sturdy oak,
and consisted of what looked like four 10 by 10s lashed together with
steel cable. Needless to say, the dozer operator was not really willing
to go in on this harebrained idea, so the LT got up there and did it
himself. The cable snapped. Fortunately nobody was hurt, unfortunately
the LT wasn't hurt either. He did this about 3 more times until he
finally managed to get the beam to give way. The building was still
standing, none the worst for the trauma. He worked on that all day,
pulling out one support post at a time until the building sagged....
just a little. Finally on Sunday, he got the wrecking ball and got the
building down. That was when the CO came down and ripped him a new
one...... He tore down the wrong building. The one he tore down had been
designated a historic landmark.

On 7/13/2010 12:08 AM, Mike Miesner wrote:
> -
> I've acquired a map of the area I live (Jefferson Barracks Park) that was
> issued by the War Department in 1943
> Is there anyway to overlay my 1943 map with a current map/Google Earth?
> My old map isn't real specific as to buildings and such, but I thought it
> would be pretty cool to see how things were situated then compared to
> present usage.
> Any ideas as to what software might help?
> TIA
>
> Mike

>   Missouri Caches Scheduled to be Archived  http://tinyurl.com/87cqw
>   Missouri Geocaching land policies -->  http://tinyurl.com/lgyy84