[GeoStL] Major Update to tmy free garmin topo maps

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 23:13:59 -0600

-
Now that I have a CO 400T, I had a need to fix an issue with my maps: when
you zoomed out they still show and clutter the map.  With the little you saw
on the 60CSX, I did not think it was a big deal.  But the screen on the 400
is 60% larger, higher resolution, and you see the entire screen when you
pan.  So you can get the big picture with it.  I think it will virtually
eliminate the need for a laptop on an out of town caching trip (other than
to log the caches at night).  You can zoom out and get a good overview and
click on a cache to bring up the cache page.  This toy is great (other than
its many bugs that will hopefully be fixed soon).  The problem was when you
zoomed out my maps drew on the screen and you could not figure things out.
So I needed to get them to shut off at a lower zoom range.  And I figured
out how to do it.  I deleted the layer for the upper zoom levels.  They work
the same at high zoom.  On my CO 400T, they stop showing up at the .8 mile
zoom, on the 60CSX they stop showing at the .5 mile zoom.  After those
levels, the maps where useless anyway.  So they should work much better now.

Instead of making you all wait for a CD from me (and to avoid making all
these CDs), someone before told me a place where I could post the files
(about 50 megs) for free and others could download them.  I cannot find the
message with the site.  So whoever that was can you please resend the site
or if someone else knows of a site.

I really enjoyed spending hundreds of hours making these maps and GPSing all
these trails.  I do this instead of figuring out all these @%^$ puzzle
caches.  So if you want to pay me back, you can send me answers to any
puzzle cache you figure out!  That seems like a good labor sharing
agreement!  You can also send me any trail you GPS to add to the trail map.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"

Go Obama!