[GeoStL] Re: MDC Permits

  • From: Glenn <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 21:01:39 -0500

-
Akso, they have a few rules.

3 CSR 10-11.110 General Provisions. (1) The following activities are allowed on
department

areas only where and as authorized by this chapter or by signs and area
brochures or by a

special use permit issued by the area manager; swimming, sailboarding,
sailboating,

skateboarding, boating, entry on areas closed to public use, bicycling,
camping, shooting,

hunting, fishing, trapping, removal of water, commercial use, vending, fires
outside of

designated camping areas, rock collecting, digging and other soil disturbance,
field trials,

horseback riding, ranging of horses and other livestock, possession of pets and
hunting dogs,

caving, rock climbing, rappelling, paint-balling, scuba diving, water skiing,
geocaching and

letterboxing, the use and possession of vehicles and aircraft, the use of
decoys, and the use or

construction of blinds and tree stands.

INFORMATION (from the applicant)

1.      Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM) coordinates for the proposed
container location.

2.      Written description of the proposed container location, if a GPS
location is not available.

3.      Written description of the proposed container and initial contents.

CONSIDERATIONS

1.      Primary public uses are fishing, hunting, nature observation, and
conservation education.  Primary public uses are encouraged on all Department
areas, with few exceptions. Other public uses of Department areas may be
appropriate and are evaluated locally using statewide Public Use Guidelines.
Geocaching and letterboxing are “other” uses in which the public may enjoy and
learn about fish, forest, and wildlife resources. Area managers must consider
and balance site-specific natural resources management, primary public uses,
and staff time necessary to monitor the activity. As with any “other” public
use, geocaching/letterboxing will not be appropriate on every area.

2.      A Special Use Permit is required for geocaching/letterboxing to control
potential user conflicts, and to enable area managers to ensure that the
container is safe and family friendly.

3.      Natural Areas are specially-designated areas that may be contained
within a Conservation Area or on their own through public or private ownership.
Natural Areas represent the natural character, diversity and ecological
processes of Missouri's native landscapes.

Containers may be placed on many Conservation Areas. Containers may be placed
on many, but not all Natural Areas owned or managed by MDC.

Following is a list of Natural Areas on which geocaches/letterboxes may be
permitted:

-Barn Hollow NA

-Morris Prairie NA

-Big Buffalo Creek Forest NA

-Osage Prairie NA

-Bradyville NA

-Paint Brush Prairie NA

-Brickyard Hill Loess Mound NA

-Pawnee Prairie NA

-Brush Creek NA

-Pelican Island NA

-Bryant Creek NA

-Pipestem Hollow NA

-Buffalo Hills NA

-Poplar Bluff Forest NA

-Burr Oak Woods NA

-Prairie Slough NA

-Caney Mountain NA

-Quercus Flatwoods NA

-Castor River Shut-ins NA

-Reifsnider Forest NA

-Danville Glades NA

-Royal Gorge NA

-Dark Hollow NA

-Spring Creek Gap Glades NA

-Diamond Grove Prairie NA

-Spring's End Forest NA

-Donaldson Point NA

-St. Francis River NA

-Dupont NA

-St. Francois Mountains NA

-Eck Memorial NA

-Star School Hill Prairie NA

-Elmslie Forest NA

-Stegall Mountain NA

-Engelmann Woods NA

-Sunklands NA

-Golden Seal NA

-Taberville Prairie NA

-Grand Bluffs NA

-Weldon Spring Hollow NA

-Hughes Mountain NA

-Whetstone Creek NA

-Indian Trail NA

-Yellow Creek NA

-McCormack Loess Mounds NA

4.      Ensure that an individual is identified on the Special Use Permit (SUP)
as the responsible permit holder, not just a group or organization.

5.      Area managers should check containers upon initial placement to ensure
that (a) it is properly labeled with SUP number (create number/id record), (b)
it is located in a safe, appropriate place, and (c) its contents are safe and
family-friendly. Area managers may consider either taking a digital photo of
the in-place container, or requiring the permittee to do so as a condition of
the permit.

6.      Area managers should monitor permitted containers at a frequency that
allows the identification of resource damage/management issues, such as a trail
being developed. Containers should be removed or relocated before significant
resource damage occurs.

7.      Area managers should monitor the area to be aware of any unauthorized
containers. Upon discovery of an unauthorized container, the area manager
should coordinate with the Conservation Agent to have a seizure tag placed on
the site before confiscating the illegal container, then use Protection
Division guidelines to document and process the illegally placed container
(similar to when unlabeled deer stands or traps are found).

CONDITIONS (In addition to the 10 standard conditions in the Special Use Permit)

11.  Containers may not be placed in sensitive archaeological, historical, or
ecological areas such as historic buildings, caves, glades, or locations that
contain rare plant species. Permittee must consult area manager regarding the
possibility of such sites before placing the container.

12.  Multi-containers are limited to three (3) total locations on one
conservation area, but are considered as one container requiring only one
permit.

13.  The permittee is limited to a maximum of two (2) permits at any given time
on a specific conservation area.

14.  The permittee is required to clearly label the container with the Special
Use Permit number. Unlabeled containers will be considered unauthorized, and
will be confiscated and reported to the local Conservation Agent.

15.   Permittee accepts the possibility that a container may be stolen, damaged
or destroyed by other area users, or as a result of common natural resource
management activities, such as prescribed burns.

16.  The permittee will follow up to ensure that all communication regarding
the existence and location of the container includes a reference to {broken
link}

17.  The permittee is responsible for checking the container and its contents
at least once every two months to ensure that its contents are family-friendly
and do not contain food, alcohol, drugs, firearms, or dangerous items. The
permittee must notify the area manager if a container is missing or is removed
prior to the permit expiration date.

18.  Permittee accepts that the area manager may remove the container if it
becomes unsightly, the surrounding natural resources are adversely affected, or
the container contains items that are not family-friendly.

19.  No digging or disruption of soil or vegetation is permitted when placing a
container. Lifting or moving rocks is prohibited.

20.  Containers may not be placed in locations that could potentially endanger
those searching for them, e.g., on cliffs or bluffs, in or near bodies of
water, or in areas prone to frequent flooding.

21.   Geocaching/letterboxing permits are valid for a maximum period of one
year from the approval date. Prior to the end of the permit period, the
permittee is responsible for contacting the area manager if s/he desires to
renew the permit for an additional year. Area use and management, environmental
conditions, container location, visitor impacts, and requests from others will
be evaluated when considering renewal requests. Failure to contact the area
manager to renew a permit will result in removal of the container(s).

On Oct 21, 2011, at 8:56 PM, Glenn wrote:

> I don't know of an online source. The MDC site only says that you need one
> and to call the area manager that you are interested in. to find the phone
> number they refer you to their atlas at
> http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/applications/moatlas/AreaList.aspx?txtUserID=guest&txtAreaNm=s
>
> So, I guess you just have to call.
>

> On Oct 21, 2011, at 8:44 PM, Edward Turner wrote:
>
>> -
>> check with *gln he would probably know
>>

>> On 10/21/2011 8:43 PM, Craig wrote:
>>> Does the MDC have the geocaching permits online someplace? and if
>>> so could someone please link me to them.
>>>
>>> Thanks!

>> Missouri Geocachers Calendar --->
>> http://mogeo.ipbhost.com/index.php?app=calendar
>
> Glenn