[GeoStL] Re: Love to Cache in Love Park

  • From: "tnands" <sydstyr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 00:31:38 -0500

I can't say for certain she was "stung" by a carpenter bee, but she was
"somethinged" by one. I think the females are the ones with the stingers and
get agitated hen someone gets too close to their nests. I am convinced our area
(or at least our back yard) was one of the first areas to have these things. We
had never heard of them before. I think I  had to "Yahoo"  something like "Bee
and wood and hole".

If you're lucky the flying wood roaches will stay away.  They moved in right
after the carpenter bees and  apparently LOVE older, decaying trees. The good
news is they don't care to live inside. The bad news is that sundown can get
kind of dicey.

Nancy

                From: Jim Greene <jimsgreene@xxxxxxxxx>
                Subject: [GeoStL] Love to Cache in Love Park
                To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                Date: Saturday, August 22, 2009, 8:16 PM

                I love to cache, everybody know that, but bee very careful if
you do "Love to Cache" in Love Park. While Sarah, Blue & I were looking for the
cache, I got into some ground bees near the cache and got stung about 30 times.
I guess I'm not allergic to them, I'm doing ok. I think they were about 10'
inside the tree line, but I'm not going back to take measurements. And we never
did find the cache either. I hope the bees weren't the bugs that JC Geo dropped
into the cache yesterday.

                Jim