[GeoStL] Re: Laser printers

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 17:57:13 -0500

-
I have a Brother 5250 DN. It is for work, but it is set up here at home and gets a workout. It is connected to the ethernet switch, so everyone can access it. It is fairly fast. Doesn't take a lot of time to warm up, and has been extremely reliable. Toner seems to last a long time as well. I would not hesitate to recommend it.

By the way, two sided printing was a "must have". That has also worked very reliably as well. It sometimes can be a problem if the paper path is not well designed, but this one seems to not have a problem. Just do not try to print two sided card stock. It will not make the internal bends. The printer seems to know when it is dealing with very thick card stock, and it takes a different path through the printer. Noticed that when I was doing two sided printing and had to use the method of printing all front sides, reload the paper then print the back sides. I found that my test run with regular paper did not turn out the same with card stock.

On 9/29/2012 11:41 AM, Jonathan Mertz wrote:
Bernie, I have little experience with Brother, but much experience maintaining and repairing HP Laserjet printers.

The first thing to look for is the price of new toner and whether it expires (electronically; some of them have dates when the electronics tell the printer that it's too old and refuse to function.)

You probably won't have to replace the fuser, but you might look at that. The HP ones worked for something like 100,000 pages, so it's probably not an issue unless you print on transparencies meant for inkjets (which melt and ruin the fuser instantly)

If it's important to you, take note of the speed in pages per minute. Also the warm-up time; some laserjets require several minutes to heat the fuser before it can print a single page. You do want it to cool off when you're not printing to save power, since home users don't print all day long, but you don't want to wait 5 minutes before printing one page.

Feel free to E-mail me back individually, since I have experience repairing printers and know the internal workings extremely well. (mostly HP Laserjet 4, 4000, 4100 series)

-Jon

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 9:10 AM, Bernie Ver Hey <Happykraut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:Happykraut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I'm looking to purchase a new Brothers B/W laser printer. Any
    thoughts would be appreciated. As a rule, I don't like multi
    function equipment, but may have to change my thinking on this
    one. What do I need to look for, avoid etc. Thanks for your help.

    PS.. I have a working color inkjet in use.

Missouri Geocachers Calendar --->