[GeoStL] Re: Laser printers

  • From: Jonathan Mertz <jemertz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 11:41:48 -0500

Bernie, I have little experience with Brother, but much experience
maintaining and repairing HP Laserjet printers.

The first thing to look for is the price of new toner and whether it
expires (electronically; some of them have dates when the electronics tell
the printer that it's too old and refuse to function.)

You probably won't have to replace the fuser, but you might look at that.
The HP ones worked for something like 100,000 pages, so it's probably not
an issue unless you print on transparencies meant for inkjets (which melt
and ruin the fuser instantly)

If it's important to you, take note of the speed in pages per minute. Also
the warm-up time; some laserjets require several minutes to heat the fuser
before it can print a single page. You do want it to cool off when you're
not printing to save power, since home users don't print all day long, but
you don't want to wait 5 minutes before printing one page.

Feel free to E-mail me back individually, since I have experience repairing
printers and know the internal workings extremely well. (mostly HP Laserjet
4, 4000, 4100 series)

-Jon