[GeoStL] Katy Trail

  • From: "Jen Guyer" <nyisutter@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 23:12:20 -0600

-
Was just reading some of the logs on Rusty II and thought I would share just
a bit of Katy Trail trivia. People who's land borders the trail actually ARE
allowed to drive on it, but only if neccesary to access their land. For
example, by Old Rusty, you will notice a farm road that accesses the trail
and signs indicating that you might encounter mowers on the trail. That is
because when the put the rails and consequently the trail in, they cut
through farm land and they may need to cross the trail to get to the other
part of their property. We have property on the trail outside Columbia and
the land is divided this way. If we were farming it, we could drive our
tractors or trucks or whatever from one section to the other.

Though it does sound like Mr. Stimmie was abusing this allowance by chasing
ya'll down an ATV! That is not really in the letter of the law! Then again,
being one of those families who's land was stolen to build the trail, I can
understand his position.

Anyway, not trying to give anyone a hard time! We actually parked off to the
side of a field today to get to Old Rusty, but don't take it too hard when
the locals get irritated. The sting of having land stolen by the government
and made into public property is still strong!

Jen

Listen to clips from my new favorite Christmas album:
http://appalachianquartet.com/gloria.html

 The SLAGA E-store is closed for image repairs......