[GeoStL] Re: Just a bit of Warning

  • From: t.l.st.clair@xxxxxxx
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 02:35:31 +0000

Dan:
Just to give you the straight scoop, walking on
railroad right-of-way is trespassing.  All police
officers, including railroad police, are empowered by
the state to make arrests for being on the embankment,
tracks, bridges, etc.  Approved grade crossings are the
only places where the public can legally cross railroad
right-of-way.
The law was enacted for several reasons, chief among
them the number of people killed and injured on
trestles.  Railroad cops take trespassing seriously,
something everyone should keep in mind.  If my meomry
serves me correctly, the offense of trespassing on
railroad right-of-way is a Class A misdemeanor, which
is punishable by a $1000 fine and or up to one year in
the county jail.