[GeoStL] Jeramy responds to battles

  • From: Glenn <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 14:15:11 -0600

-
There has been a battle going on. For those forum readers, this will be a repeat but I for one, never read them. SO, there were a lot of issues going on, here is the Bosses reply.
http://opentopic.groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?q=Y&a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000917383&m=2570915355&p=4
Summary (and response)

This is a long thread, so I'll summarize what I'm seeing in this discussion. Hopefully I can respond to most of the observations, suggestions, and issues that have come up here.

If you respond to my post, do not quote pieces of it and respond to it. Put together a concise response and summarize with your own words.

1. Restricting users to a locality / charging for membership / modifying the sport somehow.

Ain't gonna happen. This comes up once in a while and I will always point back to the vow that the Geocaching sport will never be "pay for play" on Geocaching.com - The nay sayers have responded that member only caches go against this philosophy but it is an empty argument.

You will always be able to search by radius and get all the caches in that area. New features will allow more precise searching.

It does cost money to run a site that gets 12 million pageviews a month so we look at alternative methods to fund the site. No we're not about to go under either. If we were, however, we would work on a transition plan to ensure that the sport continues.

As an aside, when someone creates a hypothetical argument like shutting down accounts where you can only search within xx radius from your home coordinates, that doesn't mean it is going to happen. Sometimes hypothetical situations grow horns and end up charging the china store.

2. Geocaching.com != Geocaching

This is a fun debate. Is Geocaching.com geocaching, or is it a database of geocaches only? "Having a sport managed under one man will be the death of us all!" is the cry from the masses.

If this was a dictatorship, do you really think the site would be successful? Heck, dissent on Geocaching.com even goes in the forums hosted by Geocaching.com.

A while back the early group of geocachers made the issue that Geocaching.com does not own geocaching. I cede that argument. However that means that since there is no ownership of geocaching by geocaching.com, we have the right to create guidelines for geocaches listed on our own web site. We also have the right to determine "quality" within our own limitations that we cannot physically visit each cache and ensure that it meets a checklist.

The admins have a hard job to weed out the signal to noise ratio. You would be horribly naive to think, however, that opening up geocaching to allow whatever listings people want on the site would be beneficial to the sport. At this point we'd have about a gazillion store caches, tennis ball caches, golf ball caches, "lets watch this carcass rot over time" caches, metal detector caches, buried caches, porn caches, ad nauseum.

The continuing movement of the web site is to have regional approvers from geocaching organizations around the world. This is a new sport, however, and both technology needs to be modified and organizations need to be formed to police their own areas. The ultimate goal is for each region to have a "committee" to decide on the rules of geocaching in their areas.

Again, I want to stress that this is a new activity and perhaps the first outdoor activity that has an online component. As a result there will be obvious growing pains. Hopefully folks will retain a level head about it all.

3. The original discussion about a microcache with no logbook.

This discussion/thread was absolutely insane. An admin has a discussion with a geocacher to verify some information about a cache, and make some recommendations. Not just an admin either, but Moun10bike, a guy who has been playing the sport just as long as I have been running the site. Then everyone jumps on and offers their own advice without the understanding of the entire situation.

How about instead of having a pity party you just try to work it out with Moun10bike, and give him the respect he deserves? The fact that there would be so much venom and time wasted over the placement of a film canister really blows perspective out of the water.

Understand that if you do disagree with the decision of a cache, you can always post your dissent in the forums. However, in this case there wasn't an outright permanent archival of a cache. All I'm asking is to have a little patience and benefit of the doubt for Moun10bike and the rest of the admins who are working in the best interests of the sport.

4. Rules and Guidelines

We call them guidelines because they aren't rules. They are guidelines. Geocaching.com is not a courtroom. The reason why they are guidelines is because the sport is very fluid and organic.

Guidelines also make it harder to make decisions, and in most cases the different admins with different backgrounds make a judgement call on the approval or disapproval of a cache. For this ireason there is a way for someone to "appeal" a "ruling" if they so choose, which would have happened here if the cache was actually disapproved.

Obviously red tape would suck. For example, make a designated approver go out and physically find the cache and rate it before approval. Logistically it is impossible. So we do the next best thing.

Jeremy Irish
Groundspeak - The Language of Location(tm)