[GeoStL] Re: "I've developed a fear of snakes" in forum "Geocaching Topics"

  • From: "Tim and Pam" <timpam2mocachers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 06:32:03 -0500

Well said!

Pam and I have ran across two copper heads this year. The last one was on
the trail at Onondaga Cave State Park. It was a cool morning so I guess the
gravel on the trail had a little heat in it. He stayed while I took some
pictures then a few kicks of the gravel and he moved on into the woods. Te
first one was at Montauk State Park, we where driving down the gravel road
in the park when we noticed a small snake laying in the road. I stopped and
got out to move it off the road then I realized it was a baby copper head. I
took some pictures then took a stick and tried to get it off the road but it
didn't want to leave. After biting the stick several times it finally moved
on. We where telling the naturalist about the green tail on this baby snake
and he said it was a copper head and they use the green tail to trick
lizards. They wiggle it in front of there face and the lizards think it is a
worm and when they go to eat the worm they get ate.

Baby copper head picture: http://tinyurl.com/2tanpo

Tim

www.tueltzen.smugmug.com

  _____