[GeoStL] Re: It's not about the numbers, but

  • From: Stephen Martin <faery_generic@xxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 07:36:10 -0500

Like tomorrow

On May 16, 2007, at 7:47 PM, RNX wrote:

-

I was eating chips and salsa while i was typing :)

I love the new Chipotle on Craig and Olive. It's close to work and oh so yummy. They even have a patio for alfresco dining. Might make a good friday lunch spot.

From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

- A ratio is not the same as a percentage, although I have not looked into the specifics of this case, and what they are calling a ratio. A ratio is either represented by a single number that you get by dividing one number (A) by another (B). The number represents the ratio of A to B. One example of where I use that is in one of the calculations I use to help determine of someone is committing fraud by using their checking account to create "loans" by taking advantage of using money they deposit into their account before it is actually collected from the bank where the deposited check is drawn. I look at the debit to credit ratio, which is the number of withdrawals (checks) divided by the number of deposits. If I were using a percentage, I would add the number of deposits and the number of withdrawals then I would divide either the deposits or the withdrawals by that number to get a percentage. But what I really want to know is how many checks are written for each deposit made, and that has nothing to do with the total of both. The percentage could be used, but it is more indirect and conceptually more difficult to understand. So it really depends on what you are looking at and why that determines whether you want to see a ratio or a percentage.

tnsl wrote:

I can't believe this has had several replies and no one has gone into a long explanation concerning the math.

Is a DNF:Find ratio the same as a percent? And what does that percent represent? For every one you DO find there are X amount you don't -- but aren't they all still hunts? Shouldn't you add the DNF + Find and divide that by the DNF? Or divide the DNF by the Total (DNF+Find)

Then again maybe this is why no one in this family has a hanlering for those puzzle caches either (unless the answer can be googled lol)

Nancy
**************************************** For List Info or To make _ANY_ changes, including unsubscribing from this list, click -----> //www.freelists.org/list/geocaching Missouri Caches Scheduled to be Archived http://tinyurl.com/87cqw