[GeoStL] Re: Impressed with Garmin

  • From: "Jon Mertz" <jemertz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 09:27:53 -0600

-
I bought my Vista Cs through Amazon and got a car charger with it.
Whenever I used it in the car, it felt a bit warm, but not knowing
whether this was normal, I assumed it was, since it's an authentic
Garmin charger. It eventually fried the first unit (lost signal,
turned itself off, and never came back on.)

I contacted Garmin, they tried walking me through a hard reset, and
eventually gave me an RMA number. I sent it in, they sent me a
refurbished one with a note that they were unable to recover my
waypoint memory.

The second one eventually died in roughly the same manner. This time,
instead of just an RMA number, they gave me some priority code and a
different dock door. They sent me not only a refurbished unit, but
also a belt clip and a holster (My choice of accessory)

When the third one died, I got another priority code, but not until
after I'd demanded that they replace the car charger as well. They
sent both a NEW Vista Cs in the box, including another copy of the
software, another USB cable, and another instruction manual and a new
charger. Since then it hasn't died, but the compass isn't reliable.

Besides the fact that their phone support is only open while I'm at
work, I'd have to say they're pretty good. Not the speediest of
service, but I can't complain (except about the hours, but working in
a 24-hour call center, I think I have that right, right?)

-Jon