[GeoStL] Re: Illinois Closing selected State Parks and Historical Sites

  • From: Tom <lobocs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 21:52:58 -0700 (PDT)

I totally agree with Tonya about this thread (and a few others). This has
become a political discussion (which should be NGR) which in my opinion should
be left out of a Geocaching maillist. I understand that I do not have to read
these threads, but I have an interest in the closings of the parks since I
spend half of my time in Illinois, and the subject of this thread is the
closing of the State Parks in Illinois, not a discussion of Obama's faults and
politics.

From: junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 20:24:54 -0500

#yiv67284687 .ExternalClass .EC_shape
{}

#yiv67284687 .ExternalClass p.EC_MsoNormal, #yiv67284687 .ExternalClass
li.EC_MsoNormal, #yiv67284687 .ExternalClass div.EC_MsoNormal
{margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';}
#yiv67284687 .ExternalClass a:link, #yiv67284687 .ExternalClass
span.EC_MsoHyperlink
{color:blue;text-decoration:underline;}
#yiv67284687 .ExternalClass a:visited, #yiv67284687 .ExternalClass
span.EC_MsoHyperlinkFollowed
{color:blue;text-decoration:underline;}
#yiv67284687 .ExternalClass p
{margin-right:0pt;margin-left:0pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New
Roman';}
#yiv67284687 .ExternalClass span.EC_EmailStyle17
{font-family:Arial;color:navy;}
 _filtered #yiv67284687 {}
#yiv67284687 .ExternalClass div.EC_Section1
{}

Strider is correct.  And for the record, Obama has a perfect pro park voting
record while in the IL Senate and the US Senate.  (from his website) He will
reverse the Bushʼs funding cuts to our federal parks-Additionally part of the
problem in IL is funding and as you will see he supports increasing the Land &
Water Conservation Fund which helps with this precise issue:

PRESERVING OUR LAND
Barack Obama and Joe Biden believe that we have a responsibility to our
children to leave this Earth better than
we found it. All Americans have an interest in the protection and proper
maintenance of our irreplaceable
national treasures. Conservation is also vitally important to providing clean
drinking water, cleaning our air and
reducing greenhouse gas pollution. Barack Obama and Joe Biden believe we need a
new vision for
conservation that both protects our existing publicly-owned lands while
dramatically expanding investments in
protecting and restoring forests, grasslands, and wetlands across America for
generations to come.
Protect National Parks and Forests: For too long, Americaʼs National Parks and
Forests have been
threatened by lax protection. Barack Obama fought efforts to drill in the
Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
Obama supports the Roadless Area Conservation Rule, which keeps over 58 million
acres of national forests
pristine. As president, he and Joe Biden will repair the damage done to our
national parks by inadequate
funding and emphasize the protection and restoration of our National Forests.
Barack Obama is also an original cosponsor of the Combat Illegal Logging Act,
which would prohibit the
importation of illegally harvested wood products. This would make foreign
companies much less likely to
engage in massive, illegal deforestation in other countries. Saving these
endangered forests preserves a major
source of carbon sequestration.
Conserve New Lands: Barack Obama is a strong supporter of increased funding for
the Land and Water
Conservation Fund, which supports land acquisition and maintenance of parks. As
a state senator, he supported
the creation of the Illinois Open Land Trust Act, which allowed the state to
buy property from willing sellers for
conservation and recreation purposes and make grants and loans to local
governments for acquiring land for
open spaces.
While Americans can take great pride in our National Parks and other public
lands, there are many landscapes
and ecosystems which do not have adequate protection. As president, Barack
Obama will lead efforts to
acquire and conserve new parks and public lands, focusing on ecosystems such as
the Great Plains and Eastern
forests which do not yet have the protection they deserve.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"

Go Obama!

From: bromley@xxxxxxx
To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 07:48:42 -0500

Personally, I hope they close all the parks.  Until people in this state get
mad enough at the way things are handled, in Springfield and nationally,  to
elect responsible representatives at all levels, we get the type of government
we deserve.  That goes for the country in general.
And "NO", I don't want the parks closed.  I want elected officials, at all
levels, that will look at the greater good in what they do and not spending
their life trying to get reelected
We need more 'Statesmen' and less politicians.

See Now

--
Jim Greene

See Now