[GeoStL] IL. caches

  • From: Glenn <Glenn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 05:48:48 -0500

-
 THIS JUST IN FROM A REGULAR VIEWER.

At 10:38 PM 5/20/2003 -0500, p5409 wrote:
   I would like to start placing caches. I am looking at Red Hills state
park for a beginner cache. Do I need to Contact the ranger there or just go
ahead and place a cache. I was told If its a public area That I don't Need
permission to place a cache . Is This right?
Good Morning.

That park is in IL. and unless you have prior approval from the land
manager,the IL approver will not approve it and in fact, the state will
remove it.  Thanks for finding about the requirements before spending a lot
of time placing the cache only to have the submission turned down.

As the guidelines on the geocaching.com states, you should always ask
permission.

Glenn
-----------------
The policy for the IL state parks is:

short version:...

Illinois Geocaching in State Parks:
*clear container
*permission from the land manager for the site
*Check on it every 30 days with the land manager

Full Illinois DNR policy was posted in the midwest forum by Dan North of the
Illinois DNR and is listed below.

Link is here[1]  and below.

PROCEDURE:

I. General Provisions

All requests for Geocache placement on Department managed properties will be
in writing and must be submitted to the Site Superintendent for approval and
authorization.

II. Required Information

At a minimum the following information is required to be submitted with each
request before the approval process will begin.

A. Proposed Geocache location shown on USGS 7.5 minute Topographic Map.

B. Name and contact information of person(s) or organization requesting
authorization for placement of Geocache.

C. List of items to be initially placed in Geocache.

D. Representative example, actual container, or picture of container to be
used for Geocache.

III. Criteria for Review of Proposals

The following list if criteria will be looked at when determining the
relative impact of this use of Department managed properties. Additional
sitespecific factors may need to be taken into consideration.

A. Impact to Threatened and/or Endangered Species.

B. Is proposed location of Geocache consistent with the current designated
land use?
1. Designated Hunting Area
2. Sensitive Wetland, vegetation or wildlife habitat area where disturbance
from activity or trampling could occur.
3. Nature Preserve
4. Cultural or Historic Site
5. Wildlife Rest Area

C. Would area present physical challenges or hazards and introduce site
usersto unnecessary risks?

IV. Requirements for Geocache

Once approved for placement the Geocache must meet the following
requirements. Violation of any of these requirements will necessitate
immediate removal of Geocache by Department personnel.

A. Container must be made of clear (see through) material, with a size no
greater than 4"x8"x12".

B. Geocache must not contain any food items.

C. Geocache must not contain any inappropriate, offensive, or hazardous
materials.

D. Geocache will not be attached or buried and no vegetation or natural
features will be disturbed in any manner.

V. Requirement for Geocache Owners

Once approved for placement the Geocache owners must meet the following
requirements. Violation of any of these requirements will necessitate
immediate removal of Geocache by Department personnel.

A. Geocache must be checked at least every 30 days. Proof of check will be
bye-mail, letter, or personal communication by the Geocache owner with the
Site Superintendent.

B. Notice on Geocache web site must state the following information:

1. Geocache is placed on Department managed property with permission.
2. Do not place the following items in the Geocache: Food
items,inappropriate,offensive, or hazardous materials.
3. It is the visitors responsibility or orient themselves with policies and
rules pertaining to this Department managed site.

IDNR Site List CONTACTS

The IDNR Geocache Policy posted above has been approved and is now being
implemented. Please make contact with Site Superintendents to register all
current and new Geocaches. We are asking that you make every attempt to get
existing Geocaches registered during the next 30 days. After this time they
will be subject to removal.

Phone numbers to IDNR managed sites can be found by following this link
http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/Landmgt/PARKS/ilstate.htm[2]

If you have trouble finding a contact number to a site, call the respective
Regional Office for further information. The Regional Office phone numbers
can also be found at the above link.

If you have questions please e-mail me at dnorth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--- Links ---
   1