[GeoStL] Re: I need some geek help please

  • From: Jon Mertz <jemertz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 05:17:15 -0500

Charles is right. Viruses often like to change settings, especially for
things like IE, which can stay around after the virus is taken care of. If
you were getting the errors in Firefox, try reinstalling that first. If you
were only getting the errors in GSAK, you might try a Windows repair. You
might also check your IE settings, as Charles suggested. Things like the
Proxy and security settings are good starts. Also check your hosts (or
lmhosts) file. You can open it in Notepad but make sure it does not save
with a .txt extension if you have to change it. You should see a lot of
lines starting with # (comments) and a line saying
127.0.0.1       localhost
You may also have one with your computer name in it and that same IP. Other
than that, you probably shouldn't have any entries, especially not a whole
lot with the same IP. If you do, remove them all except the one above and
the one with your hostname if it exists. Re-save the file, but make sure
there's no extension (the part of the filename after the '.')

...good luck. Those viruses can be nasty!
-Jonathan Mertz

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 8:54 PM, Charles Leverett <charlieleverett@xxxxxxxxx