[GeoStL] Re: I just got reprimanded

  • From: Glenn Nash <glenn.geocachingadmin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 14:59:33 -0600

-
Yes Jack, it is a dirty trick that we thought of whilst we sat one
dark night huddled around a smoking cauldron just trying to think of
dirty tricks to play on folks.

Nothing  has changed, things are now as they have always  been. There
is nothing anywhere about a cache being disabled for 2 weeks getting a
note. Ever since '03 I have been sending out notes on disabled caches
reminding people to go out and do some fixin up.   What has changed is
that I will no longer wait 3 or 4 months to archive caches that don't
get fixed up.

If you cache is disable when the notes are sent out, you will get a
note. The note says that if the cache is not fixed, it will be
archived. If the cache is fixed, then it wont be archived. Not all
that difficult of a concept.

Yes,  I read you notes as well as the notes on about 175 other caches
this morning.  A lot of the notes were from November... "I'll get to
the by the weekend".  Guess what, they never did which is what happens
most often.  We are promised a date and it never happens.

If you have plans to replace a cache before my next note sending
session then all is well and the notes do not apply to you. Relax ,
go about your daily routine and you can snicker over afternoon tea
knowing full  well that you will have foiled the plans of the evil
cache reapers.

If you think that the caching community is better served by keeping
all sorts of disabled junk in the system for others to wade through,
sorry it is not.   If you think that it is easier to just go out and
pull your caches than maintain them, you would be correct. It is way
easier but doing the right thing is rarely the same as doing the
easiest thing.  It would be far  easer for me to never have to look at
all the disabled caches.  In sis months we would all be drowning in  a
sea of moldy sandwich containers.

On Jan 12, 2009, at 1:56 PM, Jack Anderson wrote:

> -
> Yes there was, what I am saying is that this will promote people to
> not disable their caches when they suspect a problem and I think
> that's a dirty trick to pull on people.  They ask that you post a
> note to the cache page and maybe we should just post a note saying
> it might not be out there instead of actually disabling the cache,
> which is still a dirty trick to people that don't look at the cache
> logs.
>
> What ever happens I will be having 3 new caches out there (if
> approved) where my old ones are for the Winter Potluck & Cabin Fever
> Event so that people have some actual caches to do, something other
> than eat and play games.  Maybe next year I should just pull them
> and let someone else have the problems.

Your ever so friendly Missouri Geocache Review team,
Glenn (*gln) & Reviewer of the Cache (RotC)