[GeoStL] How to unarchive my cache?

  • From: Glenn <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SLAGA <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 09:59:52 -0600

-
Here is a question that comes up enough that it may be of interest to others. I should start keeping a list of these FAQ's.

------------------
Q: I have some cache sites that I had to archive some time ago.I would like to reactivate some of them. What will I need to do to get them active again.

I was hoping to keep the existing (archived) cache page with all the current logs instead of starting a new one. Is that possible?

Thanks
--
A: Good Question.
Groundspeak really does not want us to unarchive caches. Every time I do it I get reminded that I should not have done it. :-)

Archiving a cache is a serious and permanent action. Groundspeak figures that if a cache is archived, it was done so for a good reason and if someone wants to place or replace another cache near the old location it deserves it's own new cache page with it's own new history. A "My Cache part 2" or "My Cache revisited..." is what most folks end up doing.

The new caches will need to be reviewed again and will need to meet whatever new local rules (if any) that are in place and comply with any permission issues.

I will unarchive a recurring event or meeting page. That does not seem to cause much problem.

Glenn