[GeoStL] Re: Hi Y'all

  • From: "Mark Schiefelbein" <mark_schief@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 07:03:32 -0700

-
Hey--

Just FYI, I plan to have the final cache for Cloak & Dagger replaced very soon, hopefully by the start of the weekend. I've got everything together for the cache...it took me a little while to round up some more of the contents, and it's ready to place, I just need to find a time to get over there and re-hide it! I may still move it, but since you've done all the detective work to get info for this particular spot I'll leave it there for now - at least until after you've found it. I wish you hadn't deleted your log...found or not found, I think it's one of the best logs I've ever gotten on a cache! ;)

--mark/ooga booga

I want to say ?Howdy? to all of you in SLAGA land. I?m Lazylightning (Mike Bollinger) and I?ve been caching for about 7 months. I?m now an official, card carrying member, of SLAGA and the email group.

I work for Jeff City Parks and Rec and found out about caching when Matt1344 came by for permission to place caches in JC Parks. I had no idea what is was and was against allowing it. He talked us into giving it at try. I was put in charge of monitoring it because they thought I?d look real hard at what was going on. I bought a GPS, went out to find a couple of caches. Well?I fell in love with it!

The more I looked into caching, the more comfortable I was with it from the P&R side. When I placed my first cache in McKay Park, Glenn (who didn?t know who I was) sent me a list of about 20 questions, including ?Did you get permission?? That sealed it as being an a-ok activity for our parks.

My family loves caching and this has become a great family activity. My son GeoDudeGPS (Mark) demanded his own name so he could start logging caches too. He cache crazy like me (except for virtuals, he likes the trade) and wants to go all the time.

Earlier this month, I met with RGS and Crestwood P&R about building a Whitecliff Cache Course here in Jeff City. I?m working on that now. Rich also gave me a copy of his Geocaching 101 class, which I plan to offer in Jeff City early this spring once the course is done. My goal is to get more cachers in the Jeff City area. A lot of our caches only get found every couple of months and the finders are ?triple-digit? cachers. I want to see more cachers get started around here. I?d also like to help as an intermediary between cachers and land-managers.

I got to meet a lot of you at the SLAGA Fall picnic and had a great time. I grew up in the Kirkwood area and as the unfound caches in JC/Columbia dwindle, I?ll be in town more often and will maybe meet some of you out there. Until then?.happy Caching!