[GeoStL] Re: Help from the computer whizes, please.

  • From: Ssudio@xxxxxxx
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 16:35:26 EST

-

In a message dated 2/1/2005 1:46:28 PM Central Standard Time,
singer1ed@xxxxxxxxx writes:
We have  Norton Systemworks on the computer.  Is it possible that this could
be  the problem?
Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:-
I am  also on DSL with SBC/Yahoo,

Don't think that's it, but you never know-you could check your settings to
see if it's allowing that particular program or blocking it.

I have SBCyahoo DSL, Windows XP pro, Norton, and also use the 2Wire network
modem, networked to my son's computer.

I've never had an issue with the yahoo browser (I refuse to use the "real"
IE on principal), nor have I had any issues when using Netscape.  I've  opened
WMP files directly from either browser and started up the files  "offline"
(although we never are offline with the DSL)

Speaking of Norton, or any virus program....they say that you should always
disable and close your virus program when installing something new-the virus
program might not like it and the install won't go properly.  Have you  tried
uninstalling, disabling Norton, and then reinstalling?

I haven't had any problems with Windows Media Player either.  Are you  using
the newest one?  Or the one that is most compatible with your  OS?

Soooooo, perhaps it's something to do with your 2Wire settings-perhaps you
need to open a port (and I can maybe figure out which one), or maybe "tweak"
your firewall settings to allow WMP.  Or even go thru WMP and look thru all  of
the options/preferences on there to see things like "how you connect,"  etc.

I also have Zonealarm-are you using some other sort of software  firewall?

These are the sorts of problems that make us tear our hair out.  You  know,
like when you take your car to the dealer with a "noise" and they don't  hear
it.  LOL

No help really, just thinking out loud.... ;)

Jana

"To me, drumming ought to be a subtle and delicate art-shouldn't  sound like
falling down the stairs with a drum kit."
~ Sting,  Stormy Monday

Subject field