[GeoStL] Re: Hello from WTWWTW

  • From: Dan Henke <thunder_monk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 19:03:01 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Owen and welcome to a great bunch of people and I would suggest that
sometime if only for an hour or so get to one of the local events....you will
meet friends for life there and enjoy some great companionship and fun (not to
mention FOOD :) )

One of the joys of caching is that we all go at our own pace or do what we can
in the time we have....7 caches is a good total and there is nothing wrong with
it. I have gone out at times and only picked up one or two and I think my
personal best is about 35 caches at the first winter potluck in Jefferson City
but I compete with no one but myself. If someone wants to go for 500 in a
day....I say go for it!! or if someone wants to go for only 1 or 2 in a day I
say...go for it!!!!
I also do any cache I want to and will not say a negative word about any...I
have done lamp post caches and enjoyed them but I have also done a 15 mile hike
with fantastic scenery and a good cache at the end and enjoyed it just as much
but it is my choice to do both.

Queeny Park is a great place to pick up some really nice caches...I was there a
week or so ago and picked up 22 of the caches in 2 days and was TIRED at the
end. I also met some nice people and enjoyed caching alongside Strider one of
the days.

A suggestion as long as you are on the mailing list here....if you are going
out caching someplace and you let the list know in advance you might be able to
meet a couple of the cachers here to go along with you. I usually do that
whenever I come to St Louis and have enjoyed many great small and large group
caches on the spur of the moment.

As for Didg....he can hide an ammo box in the middle of a street and I would
not be able to find it :P (Sorry Dan but it is true) but I very seldom have any
trouble with RGS or some of the others even on their hardest caches....not sure
why but please don't NOT go to a cache because a certain person put it
out....give it a try and see you might be pleasantly surprised and you will
find some incredibly neat caches that way. Also on some of the harder ones
there is always the "phone a friend" option to help you out.

Hope to meet you some day on the caching trail...have a great night

Dan (Thunder_Monk)