[GeoStL] Re: Hello/ Suburban Oasis

  • From: Sara Carter <beancounter2b@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:14:49 -0700 (PDT)

Nancy,
Am I correct in that suburban oasis is in wild acres park?  If so I didn't
realize there was more than one parking lot there.  I've fished there before
(w/ou much luck other than tiny bluegills).  I might wander in that direction
before my other half gets up saturday morning.
I can't go during the day except on weekends since I am stuck in an office all
day, yuck.  Thanks for the insights and caution about the lake, if i recall
that lake is sort of covered in vegetation this time of year, another yucky
thing to get into.  Ok enough babling, guess I should be paying attention to my
AIS instructor since she is lecturing right now, hehe.

TKLNHL <sydstyr@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Sara,
The two you picked to do first are ones we have done -- well, I did Suburban
and my husband did Endicott. I'll give you a little heads up on the Suburban
Oasis..  go slowly. The tree cover can really wig out the  reception and you
might find yourself at first heading into the lake and then into the woods.
Before you head out onto the trail give the GPS some time to orient itself.
Then, take your time.
I know this advice might seem obvious to alot of people, but I did this one in
102 degree heat. Had I encountered this as my first outing I might have given
up right away. Also, had I done this with my husband one of US would have wound
up in the lake as he has a tendency to do things with ..  gusto lol.   My 6 yr
old and I can already be digging out cache  and he's still relying on the
electronics.  It helps if you can loosen up a bit  lol.

Also, for ones like Suburban Oasis, depending on your goals and time,  reread
the logs before you go -- they  might give you a hint where to park. Many
caches have different parking areas -- if your goal is a possible one mile
roundtrip  walk and sunshine then it doesn't matter.  But, having done this one
and seeing how my GPSr acted, I'd want you to have an easier success and take
your walk some other time LOL.

I'm in that area at least once a day  during the week between  8:45 and 3:00.
If you'd like to meet up I'd be happy to go with you. (Pshaw -- listen to ME
talk like I know what I'm doing..  )

Nancy