[GeoStL] HTM#1 Witches Cemetery

  • From: Dan Henke <thunder_monk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 19:29:45 -0700 (PDT)

To all SLAGA members:

Here is a note I posted on the above mentioned cache:
*************************
In answer to the previous DNF note I thought I would defend myself against the
slightly veiled accusations.
1st: This is an OLD cemetery that is not maintained very well or at all by the
locals. The rundown appearance is part of the mystique of the place. It was NOT
caused by geocachers.
2nd: The wall was in the shape it is in now when I placed the cache and has not
changed much in the time the cache has been in place. IT was NOT torn down by
geocachers looking for the cache. I am sure some rocks were moved but in the
case of the wall it did nothing to destroy it.
3rd: Yes I did get permission to place the cache there and as to the damage
caused by cachers please see the first two points.
4th: I am tired of being dumped on about this cache...it is in a very cool and
historic location....you see some very interesting and exotic country....there
is an old fashioned country store there that is almost worth the trip in itself
which is why I set the cache in the first place. The cache itself is almost
secondary to the things you see on the way and while you are in the
neighborhood.
The cache is difficult yes but is not anymore difficult than some others I have
done...you DO NOT have to destroy anything to find it....it is located under a
couple of rocks in the wall but in almost every case I have checked on it there
was a portion of the cache visible if you look close enough.....
5th: I am seriously thinking of archiving this cache as it has proved too
difficult for a lot of people and it is too far away for me to maintain it
easily
So if you have had this one on your to do list ...you might want to do it quick
Thunder
As stated in the log I am thinking VERY seriously about archiving this
cache....it is difficult to maintain and with the price of gas going as high as
it is I do NOT want to have to drive 45 to 50 minutes out of my way to check on
a cache I am sure is there but just not found.
So for those of you who have not found it yet you might want to consider going
for it soon.

Dan (Thunder)