[GeoStL] Re: Google Earth Public Ownership

  • From: Glenn <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 19:51:56 -0600

-
Jim, what are you using to manipulate the data?

I need to separate out conservation areas, state parks and other land masses
into separate files that are no larger than about 8-10 meg for each section. I
have  a separate file for conservation areas but still need to figure out a way
to pick out all the other areas. Any hints. I have tried moving each area one
at a time into a different folder in google earth and then exporting each
folder separately but that does not seem to be the way to go.  I don't
necessarily need to stick to missouri only land I just cant deal with the
larger files all at one time.

Glenn
On Nov 22, 2009, at 5:26 PM, CDS231 wrote:

> -
> I tried this out and I appreciate the work it took to accomplish this. It
> just takes forever to load.
> Perhaps if each state was broken down individually it would be more useful.
>
> On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 8:30 PM, Jim Bensman <junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> -
>> http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/257
>>
>> I gave up waiting for the Corps of Engineers to get me their landownership.
>> I will update it and my landownership files when I get the data from the
>> Corps.  This has all the County Parks Ownerships, State of IL and MO Park
>> Ownerships, National Wildlife Refuges, Ozark National Scenic Riverways,
>> Mark
>> Twain and Shawnee National Forests ownership, and some other ownerships.
>>
>> Everything is transparent red.  Click on it and it will tell you what it
>> is.
>>
>> Just unzip the file, double click on it, and it will open in GoogleEarth.
>> It is very slow to open, so in a future version I may cut down on the
>> states
>> (IL, MO IN IA KY) so it would open faster.
>>
>> The boundaries are not perfect, but they are mostly really good.  It is
>> defiantly the best data out there.
>>
>> People should probably check their caches with this before submitting them.
>> Looking around, it looks like there are many caches that are not on the
>> property the cache page indicates.
>>
>> Jim Bensman
>> "Nature Bats Last"

>> Missouri Caches Scheduled to be Archived  http://tinyurl.com/87cqw