[GeoStL] Re: Glenn Being first....

  • From: Glenn <Glenn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 21:10:48 -0500

-
NOTE: This is not a knock on anyone but....

The only reason one would think it  that  "...It seems a little unfair that
cache approvers sometimes get info..."  would be to imply that the
approvers would use said info to "cheat"  at the game.  I find that
personally insulting.  It has been mentioned several times and it is just
as insulting each time.   If you would have taken the time to match my logs
against the "placed on"  dates of the multi caches in town, you would have
discovered that I have not been to many of them and when I do find
them,  it is long after they are placed and almost never alone anymore.

If you would have checked further into the last several hundred caches I
have found, you would have discovered that I have been 1st to *very* few
and then its almost an accident. The last one a day or two ago we  waited
'till nearly noon.  Shesh, who would have thunk that no one would have been
there.

I *do* have the ability to be the 1st to find on every cache placed.  Why
then do ya think i wait so long before going out?

Many new cachers think that the approvers actually go out to the sites for
a visual inspection before caches are approved. I dont think that i have
ever done that. Do ya think I should start??

The topic of cache approvals is actually a very valid discussion point.  Do
caches need to be approved at all? if so why? or why not?   If not why do
we  bother with it.

discuss....

Point 2.  The email service is too slow for anything useful.  Go to the
GC.com home page. upper right side, input Missouri in the STATE box.  A
listing of the last several caches are displayed there. The cache will be
there the second I approve it.  There is no lag time.  So knowing that, and
knowing that when I work I approve caches when I get up at 0430 and when I
get home after 8pm, if someone starts checking the newest caches in
Missouri about those times, there is a good chance that you will be a 1st
finder if you leave the house the second that you see a posting.  Past
that,  it is just luck.  I have never given Strider, Ma & Pa or GB cacher
any advanced notice on caches that are about to be approved.  They are just
fast.  (for a small fee tho... )    :-)

Discuss some more...

to Jim, i did get you point, i saw the smiley and was not in the least
offended.

Glenn

At 06:58 AM 7/18/2003, Eric & Dayna East wrote:
>-
>NOTE: This is not a knock on anyone but....
>It seems a little unfair that cache approvers sometimes get info from the
>cache placers that others do not have access to. In some cases, they get
>exact locations. I think it
>would be best if cache approvers did not approve caches in their area for
>this reason.
>Now as to how the "big guns" get to caches so quickly... There are e-mail
>services that will notify you  when a new cache is placed. Also Buxleys
>web site maps  are  pretty good
>at getting the caches listed in a timely manor. Besides that you can do
>daily searches for new caches on GC.com
>
>Eric
>
>JimSGreene@xxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > -
> > Glenn waited until 11:00 am for all of us FTF'rs to get it first. I
> just was surprised that if I didn't get it, that Pa & Ma, Konopapw, or
> GB-Cacher wern't able to get there:)

> the Subject field

Subject field